WHAT'S NEW IN THE LAST 12 MONTHS???? March 2017ON CDCS AND THINKING OF BECOMING A FOSTER CARE PROVIDER?
There has been a policy change. If your biological or adopted child is using the CDCS option you can get paid to provide foster care AND remain on CDCS, but CANNOT use paid parent of minor (PPOM). Exception
: You can be paid up to 25 hours/week if you are providing foster care to a relative
. Ask your case manager for more information.CHECK OUT THE NEW RECOMMENDED RESOURCES ON OUR WEBSITE
- Go to http://www.anokacounty.us/2783/Resources
and check out all the cool new resources that CDCS participants have recommended in the past several months. It includes different therapies, apps for autism and transition skills, summer programs, GPS trackers, adaptive clothing, and more.YOU SPOKE. WE LISTENED.
Thanks for those responding to the participant survey. We had over 100 CDCS participants respond indicating 98% were Satisfied or Extremely Satisfied OVERALL. Even though we received a high rating...there's always room for improvement. We will take this feedback and make some changes/upgrades to make this an even better experience for you. Stay tuned...THE BUCK STOPS WITH YOU! Just a quick reminder...CDCS is a self directed program. As the managing party you are ultimately responsible for making sure you complete your paperwork ON TIME (incl. CDCS plan submission, MA renewals, etc.) and DO NOT OVERSPEND! Please make sure you are reviewing your spending summary every month to avoid overspending and any consequences. Pay attention to the %'s to make sure you are staying on track so you don't run out of money towards the end of your plan year. Your case manager, FSE coordinator, and/or support planner are there to help and give you the tools to keep you on track but it is ultimately your responsibility.STAFF MILEAGE DECREASE – Effective January 1, 2017,
the maximum staff mileage reimbursement is 53.5 cents/mile. This decrease will automatically occur through your fiscal services if your rate is at the 2016 rate of 54 cents/mi.SUMMIT MERGING WITH ORION, ISO FISCAL SERVICES -
If you are currently using Summit's FSE services, you will need to transfer services to Orion, ISO OR another fiscal management service whenever your plan renews in 2017. Ask your case manager or Summit for a list of other FSE providers. If you are on payroll model, please work with your coordinator and case manager on timing issues as there are tax implications.NETStudy 2.0 BACKGROUND STUDIES REQUIRED!
All new and returning direct support staff (including PPOM/spouse) need to complete and pass a 2.0 background study in 2017 (finger prints). Your FSE will provide you with a list of locations or you can go to https://cogentid.3m.com/mn/Maps/MNFingerprintLocations.htm
to find a location nearest you. Call ahead for location hours and/or appointment. If you provide your social security number, which is optional, other future employers will be able to access this background study so that you do not have to redo it. These costs do not come out of the CDCS budget amount. CONSIDER CHANGING FISCAL MODELS SOONER RATHER THAN LATER –
At some point (likely sometime in 2017 or 2018) everyone on CDCS will need to use the Participant Employer model (currently referred to as the Payroll/FEA Model). You may want to consider switching to this model upon one of your next renewals if you are not currently using this model. Please contact your FSE at least 2-4 weeks prior to your renewal if you plan to switch models to allow enough time to complete paperwork and process the change. Your accrued PTO will automatically be moved to the new model upon the switch. Ask your FSE for more information about the benefits/ramifications of changing models as sometimes it makes sense to stick with AWC model.INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE ABOUT WHAT'S GOING ON LEGISLATIVELY IN THE DISABILITY WORLD?
Consider connecting to the following organizations:
- MN Department of Human Services at https://mn.gov/dhs/general-public/publications-
- Autism Society https://www.autismspeaks.org/resource/autism-society-minnesota
- PACER http://www.pacer.org/legislation/
- The ARC of Minnesota http://www.thearcofminnesota.org/current-issues/
- NAMI http://www.namihelps.org/nami-minnesotas-2017-legislative-goals.html
.MINNESOTA ABLE PLAN
- Minnesotans with disabilities and their families can now save for goods and service to improve their lives under the new Minnesota (Achieving a Better Life Experience) Plan. The plan allows a maximum of $14,000/yr, to a total maximum of $100,000, to be contributed to an account for an individual before the individual's public benefits are affected. For more information go to www.mn.savewithable.com
. FREE SMARTPHONES AND FREE DATA AVAILABLE FOR QUALIFYING ADULTS -
Go to www.safelinkwireless.com
for more information.ARE YOU A GRADUATE BETWEEN 2013 and 2017? Ask your case manager about a 20% budget increase to help with vocational activities and/or day programming.MA PAYS FOR TABLETS -
Medical assistance will cover the cost of tablets when the primary
use is for voice output communication. Your speech and language pathologist may complete the paperwork needed. Your case manager may also submit a letter requesting the tablet be "unlocked" in order to use other appropriate applications for such uses as emotional regulation, scheduling, fine motor skills, etc. Ask your case manager for help with this process. The waiver may pay for tablets that are denied by MA and meet Anoka County guidelines (Complete Computer/Tablet Request form).CDCS FORMS & INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON OUR WEBSITE
. Visit www.anokacounty.us/CDCS
. The new and revised "fillable" forms should now be used. Toss away the old ones. New forms include: Addition/Addendum – general or PPOM/spouse, Computer/Tablet Request, Special Diet Request, Alternative or Specialized Treatment Form, Positive Behavior Plan, Non-Disability Camp Request Form, etc. See the Forms and Guidelines section.NON-DISABILITY CAMP REQUEST FORM (NEW)
- For day and overnight camps that are not specifically geared towards those with disabilities, a new form must be completed describing how the camp will be adapted to meet the participant's assessed needs and how the health and safety needs of the participant will be met.BUDGET INCREASE
– On July 1, 2016, you should have received a small increase of 0.2% to CDCS budgets carried over from last year’s union agreement. This increase is meant to offset the minimum wage increase from $10.75/hour to $11.00/hour (E.g. $30,000 yearly budget would increase by $60). You should have received a letter with this information from Anoka County and a new service agreement from MN DHS with your new amount. FOR AC/EW CDCS PARTICIPANTS ONLY
- Ask your case manager about how to access your 21.3% increase.PPOM/SPOUSE MAXIMUM WAGE INCREASES TO $16.75/hour including benefits(Payroll/FEA model Only)
. If on AWC model, contact your FSE for the new wage rate effective July 1, 2016. This increased wage will not automatically happen. If you would like to increase this wage in your current plan contact your case manager and the FSE to help calculate and assure that you do not overspend your budget allocation. MINIMUM STAFF WAGE INCREASE
– Effective July 1, 2016, minimum wage increased from $10.75/hr. to $11.00/hr. This change will happen automatically. You will be contacted if more adjustments need to happen.PAID TIME OFF (PTO) INFORMATION
– Any direct support staff (including paid parents of minors/spouses) may redeem PTO at any time after their 600 hour threshold is made and with consent from the managing party. PTO is considered taxable income even for parents and spouses.CELL PHONES & MINUTES NO LONGER ALLOWED - In today’s world a cell phone is a typical family/personal expense. Waiver funds are for items needed above and beyond what is typical and related to the disability. Most adults qualify for free cell phones with minutes. FREE resources include: www.lifewireless.com or http://www.assurancewireless.com/ Public/Welcome.aspx) , and www.safelinkwireless.com COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT PROGRAM (CIP) DISCONTINUE SERVICES -
Those using CIP for their FSE will need to switch to a different FSE by 2/28/17. Please contact your CIP Coordinator or county case manager ASAP to make the transition.PLANNING A VACATION? You are still able to utilize staffing, both PPOM/Spouse or support staff along even out of state (not out of the country). No other supports or services are available besides staffing however outside of the state of MN or its bordering states.HOSPITAL OR NURSING HOME STAY? During a hospital/nursing home stay, CDCS services cannot be used. However, if staff worked prior to admission and/or after discharge on the same day, they can still get paid for their time.