Board Presents Public Health and Environment Awards
The Anoka County Board of Commissioners recognized two individuals and two groups as part of this year’s Public Health & Environmental Awards. The individual awards went to Connie Moore, the executive director of Alexandra House, a shelter in Blaine that provides safe haven and resources to those suffering from domestic and sexual violence. The second individual award went to Rachel Workin, environmental planner for the City of Fridley. The first group award was given to the Homeless Outreach Collaborative, composed of the Blaine Police Department, the Heading Home Anoka Housing Collaborative, Northtown Mall staff and other community partners. The second group award was given to the partnership of The Tipsy Steer and Invictus Brewing, Blaine businesses that occupy a shared space. To watch the presentation on this item, click HERE.
County Attorney Presented Award
The board recognized Anoka County Attorney Tony Palumbo for being awarded the Julius E. Gernes Prosecutor of Excellence Award. This award is given to an outstanding public attorney working in the state of Minnesota as a county or city attorney or as a criminal prosecutor at the federal, state, or local level. To watch the presentation on this item, click HERE.
License Center Specialists Added
To help with the amount of transactions going through the county’s license centers, the board approved three full-time-equivalent license center hire ahead positions. For more information on this item, click HERE.
Several Road Transportation Projects Approved
The board approved five highway items:
- Acquisition of right-of-way for the construction of turn lanes and a centerline culvert extension on Constance Boulevard at Tippecanoe Street in the City of Ham Lake.
- Acquisition of right-of-way to convert the existing northbound right-turn lane into a bypass lane on Jarvis Street at 213th Avenue NW in the City of Nowthen.
- Acquisition of right-of-way for the relocation of an existing driveway culvert and ditch cleaning along the north side of Birch Street, between 1271 Birch Street and 1281 Birch Street in Lino Lakes.
- The conveyance of county purchased property in the City of Blaine for the installation of a traffic control signal system at the intersection of Radisson Road NW and Xylite Street NE, and near-side signal heads and flashing yellow arrow improvements to the existing traffic control signal system at the intersection of Radisson Road NE and 101st Ave NE in the City of Blaine.
- The conveyance of property to Centennial School District and approval to enter into a joint powers agreement for the reconstruction of Birch Street from Hokah Drive to 550 feet east of West Shadow Lake Drive. For more information on these items, click HERE.
Gift Accepted from Coon Rapids VFW
The board accepted a gift of $1,000 from the Coon Rapids VFW. This money will go to help defray costs for the volunteer Anoka County MedLink Transportation Program.
Several CARES Act Items Approved
The board approved 13 Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES) items. Some of those items included procuring more telework equipment, mobile dispatching equipment for 911, mass notification system software, transportation assistance for residents affected by COVID-19, and a call center monitoring system to help with the call volume at the county’s license centers. For more information on these items, click HERE.
To watch the full board meeting, click HERE.