June 1, 2021
From Stigma to Strength: How to Communicate with People Who Have a Substance Use Disorder
Tuesday, June 1, 2021
People with addiction and substance use disorders are often blamed for their disease. This stigma discourages people from getting the help they need.
Would you want to interact with somebody who is just going to shame you?
Addiction stigma is baked into our culture. Sometimes we say something and do not realize the shame it heaps on others.
Other times we think we are helping, motivating, or simply ‘telling the truth’ when we are actually harming and re-traumatizing.
In this live webinar we will learn a better way to communicate with people that have a substance use disorder.
You will learn (Learning Objectives):
• A brief history of the stigma of addiction.
• Stigmatizing words people often use.
• Alternative phrases to use instead.
• 6 key principles of a trauma informed approach.
• How to empower people to start making positive changes.