Apply in Person
You MUST apply in person if any of the following apply to you:
- You are applying for a passport for the first time
- You are under age 16
- Your previous passport was issued when you were under 16
- Your previous passport was lost, damaged or stolen
- Your previous passport was issued more than 15 years ago
If none of the above statements apply you may be eligible to Renew By Mail
Step 1- Fill out Form DS-11
If using form-filler please complete ALL APPLICABLE information. When printing, print separate pages (not front/back).
If printing PDF version, please print separate pages (not front/back), complete legibly using black ink ONLY. Do NOT use any correction fluid, if an error is made you can strike a single line through the incorrect information and write correction in available space.
Step 2- Proof of U.S. Citizenship
You must SUBMIT an original/certified of one of the following:
(Photocopies/notarized copies are NOT accepted)
- Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
- U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
- Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
- Lists applicant’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth
- Lists the parent(s)’ full names
- Has the date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth)
- Has the registrar’s signature
- Has the seal of the issuing authority
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Certificate of Citizenship
Step 3 - Present ID
Applicant MUST present one of the following IDs to the acceptance agent.
- In-state, fully-valid driver’s license
- Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired, but still looks like you)
- Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship (if the photo still looks like you)
- Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
- U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
- Valid foreign passport
- Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification, commonly used by the parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant)
If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please see Identification.
IF your Identification does not match your current legal name or is in the process of being updated you may be required to submit supporting name change documents. (Marriage Cert, Court Order, Divorce Decree etc.)
Step 4- Passport Photo
You can bring a passport photo that meets the requirements OR we can take your picture in our office for $18.00. We are trained to take qualifying passport photos and provide a quick and easy experience for all ages from newborns to adults.
Step 5- Fees
Personal Check or Money order is REQUIRED for your application.
(Check or Money Order ONLY)
(Cash or Check)
|Passport Book & Card||$160.00||$35.00|
|Expedite Fee (up to 10 weeks)||+$60.00|
For the most up to date information please visit the Department of State Website. PLEASE NOTE that the execution fee (payable to the acceptance facility) is separate from the application fee.
EXAMPLE: I would like to get a passport book and card. I am having my photo taken at the passport office. I will pay $160 via personal check/money order to the U.S. Dept of State. I will pay $53.00 to Anoka County via cash.
Step 6- Make an Appointment
The Coon Rapids Passport Office operates on an appointment basis. We have had great response from the public using an appointment system as it makes getting your passport application processed quick and easy for you and your family. Click here to make an appointment.