The Anoka County License Center in Ramsey, 7550 Sunwood Dr. NW, Ste. A, is currently closed due to staffing shortages related to COVID-19. We will continue to evaluate the situation to determine when we are able to effectively operate all locations. Read on...
Anoka County License Centers:
- Do not offer the "written" (knowledge) test required to get an instructional permit
- Do not offer the "behind-the-wheel" (road) test to get a driver’s license
To find locations where you can take the knowledge and road tests, see the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services website.
After you have completed the knowledge test, you can apply for a Driver’s Instruction Permit at any of the Anoka County License Centers. The application form for the Driver’s Instruction Permit is available in the lobby of all locations.
What Should you Bring for a First-time Application?
- Proof that you have completed and passed the knowledge test
- Two forms of proper identification. Please use this Identification Requirements chart to determine what two forms of identification you will need to provide.
- Corrective lenses (if needed).
- Parent or legal guardian (if you are under age 18). If a Parent/Guardian is not available at time of application, you can pick up an application and take it with you to obtain their notarized signature and return to complete your transaction.
Renewal, Replacement, Address Change or Name Change
- All five License Centers process applications for renewal, replacement, address change or name change on Instruction Permits.
- In all cases you must bring your current or recently expired permit and corrective lenses if you are required to wear them for driving.
- Proof of address is not needed for Address Change on Instruction Permits unless you have a Real ID or Enhanced Instruction Permit.
- If you are changing your name, you must provide us with a certified copy of the name change document (i.e. Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, etc.).
- For a replacement permit, the Instruction Permit photo on file is used to verify identity. If identify cannot be verified, additional identification may be needed.
- If you are under age 18, you will need a parent or guardian present in all cases. If a Parent/Guardian is not available at time of application, you can pick up an application and take it with you to obtain their notarized signature and return to complete your transaction.