We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.  Please use Travel.State.Gov for updated information and emergency passport services.

Please note: this will affect our Blaine and Coon Rapids Passport office

We are happy to answer any questions you may have during this difficult time.  Please use this form to be contacted by a passport acceptance agent. 


COVID-19 Update: Know Before You Apply For A U.S. Passport

If you are thinking about applying for or renewing a U.S. passport now for international travel, please read the Department of State’s current international travel advisory. Because of public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have extremely limited U.S. passport operations.

If you apply or renew now, you will experience significant delays of several months to receive your U.S. passport and the return of your citizenship evidence documents (such as birth certificates or naturalization certificates). Unless you have a life-or-death emergency, please wait until we resume normal operations to apply for or renew your passport.

Learn more on the COVID-19 Update page and Frequently Asked Questions page.        

Passport Renewals During the COVID-19 Pandemic

  • Unless you have a life-or-death emergency, please wait until we resume normal operations to renew your passport.


  • You do not need to renew your passport before it expires unless you are planning to travel internationally.
  • Most countries require that your U.S. passport have at least six months of validity beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not let you board an international flight if this requirement is not met.
  • Though an expired passport cannot be used for international travel, customers eligible to renew their 10-year passport have up to 5 years to renew the passport using Form DS-82 after it expires.
  • After the 10-year passport has been expired for 5 years, you cannot renew it and you must apply in person using Form DS-11 if you want a new passport.
  • You cannot renew your child’s passport. All children under age 16 must appear in person with both parents or guardians and apply using Form DS-11.

The Blaine Passport Center and the Coon Rapids Passport Center (located next door to the License Centers) are the only Anoka County facilities accepting passport applications.

A passport is a document, issued by the federal government, which certifies the identity and nationality of the passport holder. A passport has two forms:

  • Passport Book - can be used for all air, land and sea travel.
  • Passport Card - can be used to travel to and return from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossing or sea ports-of-entry. The Passport card can also be used to board aircraft for domestic travel, but cannot be used for international air travel.

To apply for a passport book or card, all applicants (including minors) must apply in person at an authorized Passport Acceptance Facility.

How to Obtain

  • Complete the application for a U.S. passport, Social Security number is required for this form (including minors)
  • Submit proof of U.S. citizenship (one of the following)
    • Certified birth certificate (within the U.S. issued by your City, County or State of birth)
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
    • Naturalization Certificate
    • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Present current primary identification:
    • Valid Minnesota Driver’s License
    • Clipped Minnesota Driver’s License with stamped renewal papers
    • Naturalization Certificate
    • Current Government ID (city, state or federal)
    • Current Military ID (military and dependents), State Identification Card or Out-of-state Driver’s License (with valid secondary identification)
  • Photo services are available at service centers for an additional fee of $18, or provide a passport photo that meet quality requirements.
  • Bring a completed DS-11 application and required payment to apply
  • If application is for a child under the age of 16 see How do I get a passport for my child (under 16)

Make An Appointment

Due to limited office space and staffing levels, customers are strongly encouraged to make an appointment to submit a passport application. Read more about using the online appointment scheduler to schedule your visit to either the Blaine Passport Center or the Coon Rapids Passport Center. Walk-in applications will only be accepted if there is appointment availability.

Renew a Passport

The U.S. Department of State Passport Services requires you to renew your passport by mail if it meets eligibility requirements. If your passport is eligible for renewal by mail, you cannot renew it at our Passport Centers.

Pay for a Passport Application

  • Determine the appropriate federal fees on the Travel.State.Gov website (a separate check or money order per application payable to “U.S. Department of State” is required for the federal portion of the fees).
  • Acceptance Facility Execution Fee, photo fees and other related fees must be made by separate check payable to “Anoka County” or cash.

Passport Photographs

Passport photos are available at the Blaine Passport Center and the Coon Rapids Passport Center for an additional fee of $18 (Cash or Check).

One 2 by 2 inches photograph, meeting a variety of specific requirements, is required in order to obtain a passport.