Election Day Registration

Proof of Residence

If you are not registered to vote or need to update your registration information, you may do so at your polling location on Election Day. In this case, you will be required to provide proof of residence.

Valid Identification

To successfully complete Election Day Registration you must have one of the following:

  • A valid Minnesota Driver’s License, a learner’s permit, a Minnesota ID card, or a receipt for any of these containing a valid address in the precinct
  • A student identification card including your photo (if your college has provided a student housing list to election officials)
  • A tribal ID card that contains your name, picture, signature and address in the precinct
  • A valid registration in the same precinct under a different name or address
  • A notice of late registration that was sent to you by your county auditor or city clerk
  • A voter registered in the same precinct as you who can confirm your address with a signed oath (known as a voucher)
  • An authorized employee of a residential facility where you reside who can confirm your address with a signed oath (the residential facility must provide a list of employees to election officials)

Alternative Identification

Alternatively, you must provide a form of photo identification and a bill in your name as follows.

A form of photo identification from this list:

  • Driver’s license, state ID or learner's permit issued by any state
  • United States Passport
  • United States Military ID or Veteran ID
  • Minnesota university, college, or technical college ID
  • Tribal ID card with name, signature and photo
  • Minnesota high school ID card

A bill in your name showing your current address, due within 30 days of the election, from this list:

  • Bill, account/start of service statement for phone (landline, cell, VOIP, etc.), TV (cable, satellite, etc.), internet services, solid waste or sewer services, electric, gas or water, banking or credit card, rent or mortgage payments
  • Residential lease or rental agreement (must be valid through election day)
  • Current student fee statement

Additional Information

Further information regarding voter registration, applications in other languages or large format, can be found on the Minnesota Secretary of State's website.