Death record applications will be accepted at the Vitals Statistics office in the Government Center in Anoka and all License Centers.
Deceased 1997 and After
You can purchase a certified death record for a death in Minnesota in 1997 and after at the Government Center Vital Statistics office or at any License Center.
Deceased Before 1997
To obtain a certified record for death recorded in Anoka County before 1997, you will need to go to the Government Center Vital Statistics office.
In order to obtain a certified death record, you must show that you have a tangible interest (PDF) in the record.
- Submit a completed Minnesota Death Record application form (PDF), the required identification, and the required fee.
- In some cases it may also be necessary to submit a Statement to Identify Certified Birth or Death Certificate Applicant (PDF)
By mail or fax:
- Fill out a Minnesota Death Record application (PDF) form, have your signature verified by a Notary Public
- Mail or fax the form(s), along with the required fee, to the Government Center Vital Statistics Office
Download the Minnesota Death Record application (PDF) form, print it, and fill it out. You can also pick up the application form at the Government Center Vital Statistics office or at any Anoka County License Center or request that the application form be sent to you.
In some cases, you may need someone to fill out the Statement to Identify Certified Birth or Death Record Applicant form (PDF).
The following documents must be accepted as meeting the requirements, unless the document has been altered or changed, or there is evidence of fraud on the face of the document.
- Unexpired picture driver's license of a U.S state or territory
- Unexpired picture identification card of a U.S state or territory
- Unexpired U.S federal, state, or local government employee picture ID
- Unexpired FAA aircraft pilot's license
- Unexpired U.S military picture ID
- Unexpired U.S passport
- $13 First Certified Death Record without cause of death (only for records 1997 to present).
- $13 First Certified Death Record with cause of death.
- $6 Each additional Death Record of the same record issued at the same time.