Anoka County residents can vote in advance of election day by casting an absentee ballot. Absentee balloting can be done through the mail, in-person at the Anoka County Elections office in Anoka, or in-person at the city hall for the city in which the voter resides.
Absentee Voting in Person
Follow the link above for more information regarding in-person absentee voting.
Absentee Voting by Mail
Absentee voters must first complete an absentee ballot application. The quickest way to do so is to click on this link to download and print the application (PDF) Opens a New Window. and complete by hand, or call the Anoka County Elections office at 763-324-1300 to have an application sent to you by mail. Return your application as early as possible by any of the following methods:
- Mail: Anoka County Elections, 2100 3rd Avenue, Suite W130, Anoka, MN 55303
- Fax: 763-324-1160
- Email: send a scanned image of your application via email to Elections
Your mailed absentee ballot will contain voting instructions and a return envelope. Be sure to follow the absentee instructions very carefully and return the ballot as soon as possible. See the deadlines below for more information.
2019 Absentee Dates & Deadlines
All absentee voting by mail or in-person starts 46 days before each election. The absentee periods for the 2019 elections are as follows:
November 5 General Election
- September 22 - November 4
Applications returned before the start of the absentee period will have their ballots sent out on the first day of the absentee period. After the start of the absentee period, ballots will be mailed out as soon as applications are received, typically within one business day.
- Absentee ballots returned by mail must arrive by 8 p.m. on Election Day to be counted.
- Voters may also drop off their own voted absentee ballot (or through an agent) in person to the County. Ballots must be dropped of by 3 p.m. on Election Day in order to be counted.
- Within the last 7 days prior to the election, voters in special situations can use the agent delivery process to vote absentee. You can find more information on that process online.