State and federally funded medical programs administered by the county may pay for all or part of a qualifying resident’s medical bills. The medical programs include:
- Medical Assistance (MA) - MA is a federal program that may pay for qualifying persons’ medical, dental and prescription bills for three months prior to an application, as well as current and future medical expenses.
- Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities (MA-EPD) - This program allows working people with disabilities to qualify for Medical Assistance under higher income and asset limits. It is intended to encourage persons with disabilities to work and enjoy the financial benefits of being employed. Recipients pay a premium based on income.
- Medical Assistance for Long-Term Care Services (LTC-MA) - The program may pay for nursing home services or in-home services for people who would otherwise need to be in a nursing home. LTC-MA is for persons who are disabled or age 65 and older.
- MinnesotaCare (MCRE) - MCRE is a state-subsidized health care program for persons who do not have any other health care insurance. It is for single people and families who do not get MA. If they meet income, asset, residence and insurance guidelines, they pay a monthly premium for insurance based on family size, income and number of persons covered.
- Refugee Medical Assistance (RMA) - RMA is a federal program that provides up to eight months of health care coverage to certain non-citizens who are considered refugees. Refugees must have been in the United States less than eight months and be ineligible for MA.
How to Apply
- In Person:
- The Service Center is located in the Blaine office.
- Hours for the Service Center are 8:00 - 4:30, Monday through Friday, except holidays.
- No new applications are started after 3:00.
- Apply online at MN Sure website
- Paper Application:
- To request a paper application, contact EZ Info.
How to Choose your Health Plan
If you are enrolled in a Health Care Program, you may have been asked to select a Health Plan. The document below explains how to choose your Health Plan.