Examiner of Titles
Duties & Responsibilities
The examiner of titles is an attorney appointed by the judges of the District Court to perform judicial, administrative, and legal adviser duties specified in Minnesota Statutes chapter 508, known as the Minnesota Land Registration Act. Pursuant to this act, and by court rules and special orders, the examiner of titles has the following duties:
- To examine titles and issue reports to the judges of the District Court in initial proceedings to register title to land
- To examine petitions and to issue reports to the judges of the District Court, in proceedings subsequent to initial registration of land
- To hear default Torrens cases and those contested cases referred by the court
- To supervise all Torrens proceedings
- To issue directives and certifications in administrative proceedings
- To serve as legal adviser to the registrar of titles
No fees are charged for examiner services (except for Initial Registration). Fees to file a court action or record documents apply.
For recording procedures/questions, property tax information, assessment or questions involving abstract property, please contact PROPTAX@CO.ANOKA.MN.US or 763-323-5400 and speak to a Property Specialist.
Pre-approval of documents
Chapter 508 of Minnesota Statutes provides that certain instruments may not be accepted for filing by the Registrar unless certified by the Examiner (or Deputy Examiner) or pursuant to a Court Order.
The Anoka County Examiner of Titles DOES NOT pre-approve documents before closing. Documents submitted to the Registrar of Titles are reviewed by the Registrar/Torrens staff and then delivered to the examiner for approval before recording. Document needing examiner approval CANNOT be eRecorded.
The Examiner of Titles does not charge any additional fees for approving documents (recording fees do apply).
Examiner Approval - Recording Packages
Recording packages needing Examiner approval have been reviewed through: December 9, 2019
PLEASE NOTE/CHANGE IN HEARING SCHEDULE:
There will be NO Examiner of Titles hearings on:
- December 26, 2019
- June 25, 2020
- December 24, 2020
There will be a LOCATION CHANGE for the Examiner of Title hearings on:
- February 13, 2020 (Room 772)