Child Care Assistance
Anoka County operates a Child Care Assistance program that helps families pay for child care so that parents can work, attend school or look for a job. This program is supported by state and federal funds.
The family may need to pay a portion of the child care cost. This amount is called a co-pay and is based on family size and income. Family income must be less than 47% State Median Income (SMI) at time of initial application to qualify for funds.
Examples of income before taxes (effective October 1, 2017):
- Family of 2 - earn less than $30,730 a year
- Family of 3 - earn less than $37,961 a year
- Family of 4 - earn less than $45,192 a year
Child Care Assistance can help families with these needs pay for the cost of child care:
- Minnesota Family Investment Program(MFIP) - for families receiving MFIP cash assistance. Child Care Assistance is provided so parents can work, job search, attend school, or attend social service appointments.
- Diversionary Work Program (DWP) - for families receiving DWP assistance. Child Care Assistance is provided so parents can work, job search, and work with Anoka County Employment Services.
- Transition Year Child Care Assistance - for families who received MFIP or DWP for at least 3 of the last 6 months. Child Care Assistance is provided for up to 12 months from the date MFIP or DWP closes, so parents can work, job search or attend a training program.
- Base Sliding Fee Child Care Assistance - for families who need help paying for child care so they can work, job search or attend school. There is a waiting list for Basic Sliding Fee Child Care Assistance in Anoka County. To be screened for the waiting list, please call 763-324-2360.
Types of Child Care That Qualify
The Anoka County Child Care Assistance program can pay any licensed child care center or licensed child care home that is registered with Anoka County. If you need help in finding licensed child care, you can call Think Small at 651-641-0332. The Child Care Assistance program can also pay unlicensed child care providers who are over the age of 18 and pass a background study. There is a $65 fee to cover the cost of the background study for unlicensed providers. For more information about that service, call the Child Care Assistance program office at 763-324-2350.