Hazardous Waste Generators

Guidelines for Hazardous Waste Generators

The Anoka County Community Health and Environmental Services Department licenses hazardous waste generators in order to protect the environment and people from exposure to hazardous materials. The regulations are outlined in the Anoka County Hazardous Waste Management Ordinance and Minnesota Rules, Chapter 7045.

Report hazardous waste and oil spills to the Minnesota Duty Officer 24-hours a day at 651-649-5451 or toll free at 800-422-0798.

Apply for a Hazardous Waste Generator License

A hazardous waste generator is a business or other non-household entity that generates hazardous waste. To find out if your business needs a license, view the Basic Hazardous Waste Requirements for Businesses from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. Steps to applying are as follows:

  • Obtain a Hazardous Waste Identification Number (HWID) from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA).
  • Complete the Hazardous Waste License Application and the Hazardous Waste Disclosure Form.
  • Submit application, disclosure form and MPCA HWID number to the department.
  • After your application is processed, you will receive a fee statement. After payment, you will receive the license from this department which must be publically posted.
  • If you generate additional waste or change the type of waste generated after receiving the license, contact the department.

Other Information

UPDATE: Aerosol can puncturing ban

The MPCA is rescinding the previously announced January 1, 2018, sunset of the allowance to puncture hazardous waste aerosols and compressed gas cylinders. The deliberate release of hazardous waste propellant or compressed gas to the atmosphere by puncturing is prohibited by the Minnesota Rules, but for many years the MPCA has chosen not to enforce this prohibition and to allow puncturing. While the MPCA is continuing the allowance to continue puncturing, there are now more management opportunities for unpunctured aerosols and cylinders. To help attain air quality goals protecting the health of all Minnesotans, the MPCA strongly encourages all businesses to consider non-puncturing aerosol and cylinder management options. For more information, see the MPCA factsheet entitled “Waste aerosols and compressed gas cylinders”.

Minnesota Pollution Control Agency

Contact Anoka County Resource and Recycling Solutions regarding information and assistance for businesses to recycle non-hazardous materials.