Food Service Establishments

Licensing and Inspection

The Public Health and Environmental Services Department licenses and inspects food service establishments. The regulations are outlined in the Anoka County Food Ordinance and the Minnesota Food Code. Grocery stores, convenience stores, bakeries, meat processing, and candy-making businesses are regulated by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture.

Apply For A License

There are different steps for applicants depending on what type of establishment / event for which you are applying: existing establishment, new establishment, or a temporary event.

Existing Establishments

Food service establishment licenses are not transferable to person or place. A change of ownership inspection must be conducted and a new license must be obtained before you begin operation of the business.

  • Call 763-324-4260 to speak with a department representative and receive a license application
  • Submit the application, applicable license fee, and a copy of the proposed menu to the department.
  • Contact department representative to schedule an inspection and obtain license prior to operation of restaurant.

New Establishments

Call 763-324-4260 to speak with a department representative and to receive a Plan Review Application. A complete set of plans must be submitted 30 days before construction begins; view the plan review guidelines. Plans must include the following:

  • One set of plans (total room layout, exterior dining, garbage and refuse areas, plumbing and mechanical plans, (ventilation and make-up air)
  • Proposed menu
  • Food Safety Plan (plan showing how food will be handled from receipt until served-procedures to insure safe food)
  • Equipment layout
  • Manufacturer specification sheets for all food, beverage and hot water generating equipment, including shelving for walk in refrigeration and storage areas
  • Room finish schedule
  • Water Supply Information
  • Sewage Disposal Information
  • Submit the application and applicable license fee to the department.

Temporary Events

  • Select and complete the Anoka County Temporary Food License Application.
  • Submit the application and applicable license fee in person to the department at least 14 days before the event.
  • Please be aware that license fees have been set for ALL nonprofit organizations per event, this includes all City sanctioned events. Please call Environmental Services for the appropriate fee for your event.

Items that DO NOT require a license include.

Events can be a ton of fun, but they can also create a ton of waste.  Need help greening your event?  Find resources to reduce waste and recycle more.  

 Temporary Food Trucks and Trailers

As of January 1, 2018, Anoka County will be requiring all temporary food trucks and trailers to obtain an Anoka County license. 

The following are required to obtain a license;

-  Completed  the Temporary Food Truck/Trailer License Application

- $90 Fee

The Temporary Food Truck/Trailer License allows the operation within Anoka County for 21 days or less during the licensing year.

Please be aware that reciprocity agreements that have been used in previous licensing years are no longer valid. A license must be obtained.

To be eligible for this license each licensee must hold a valid annual license through the Minnesota Department of Health or another agency. Please call 763-324-4260 for licensing questions.

Minnesota Food Protection Manager Certificate

The Minnesota certified food protection manager (CFPM) is a leader for the food establishment’s food safety team. The CFPM is recognized by the Minnesota Department of Health as meeting specific training requirements, and helps reduce the risk of foodborne illness by demonstrating safe food handling practices and sharing food safety knowledge with the food establishment’s employees.

A CFPM certificate is required in Anoka County for any establishment licensed to serve food. Exemptions from this requirement is listed under Minnesota Rules Chapter 4626.0033.

See the Minnesota Department of Health's Certified Food Protection Manager Webpage for additional information on how to receive the CFPM certificate.

In Case of Emergency

If your food service establishment experiences an emergency please see the Anoka County Emergency Notification Procedures. Other resources to help you deal with emergencies:

If you suspect that you have become ill from food, call the department. You can also report through the Minnesota Department of Health Food Borne Illness Hotline at 1-877-FOOD-ILL (1-877-366-3455).