Midwest Regional Forensic Laboratory
Laboratory Services Guide
In February of 2008, the Anoka County Sheriff's Office entered into a cooperative agreement with Wright and Sherburne Counties to make possible the Midwest Regional Forensic Laboratory. This agreement combines the resources of the three counties in order to provide forensic services to the law enforcement community. In July 2014, the laboratory achieved ISO/IEC 17025 ANAB accreditation.
The Midwest Regional Forensic Laboratory offers services to local law enforcement agencies within the counties of Anoka, Sherburne, and Wright in the following forensic disciplines:
- Chemical development of latent prints to include Indanedione, Ninhydrin, and Physical Developer
- Brush and Powder techniques
- Enhancement of latent prints in blood
- Sticky side powder development
- Cyanoacrylate (Superglue) fuming
- Alternate Light Source (ALS) examinations
- Macro photography
- Ridge detail comparison and identification
- Midwest Automated Fingerprint Identification Network (MAFIN)
- Next Generation Identification (NGI)
- Confirmatory testing of street drugs
- Identification of pharmaceutical products
- Purity determination on cocaine, methamphetamine, and THC
- Weight and quantity determinations
- Alcohol Testing for blood and urine samples
- Serology: Identification of biological fluids
- Human blood, human semen/seminal fluid and saliva
- Nuclear DNA testing (STRs and Y-STRs) for violent and non-violent crimes
- Criminal Sexual Conduct
- Homicides, Death Investigations, Assaults
- Burglaries, Robberies, Thefts, Vandalism
- Felony possession of weapons
- Combined DNA Index System (CODIS)
- Local, State, and National databases
- Aids in linking forensic biological evidence to convicted offenders, arrestees, other forensic samples, missing persons, unidentified human remains, and biological relatives of missing persons
General Guidelines for Evidence Submission
Evidence Condition: Before evidence is received into the laboratory, it must meet the following criteria:
- All cases submitted MUST be accompanied by a request for Laboratory Examination form. This form is also available in hard copy form at the lab.
- All items of evidence must be individually packaged
- Each package must be sealed
- Seals must be initialed and dated across the seal
- Each package must contain the following:
- Case number
- Evidence item number
Evidence Submission: Lockers are provided for evidence submitted by Anoka County Sheriff's Office personnel only. All other evidence will be accepted in-person between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
For INSTRUCTIONS on submitting evidence click the PDF form here Opens a New Window. .
To request Laboratory Examination, click on and complete this PDF form Opens a New Window. .
Items Requiring Laboratory Management Approval Prior to Acceptance:
- Flammable liquids
Student Internship Program
For more information on the Midwest Regional Forensic Laboratory (MRFL) Internship Program, click here (PDF) Opens a New Window. .
It is the mission of the Midwest Regional Forensic Laboratory to provide superior forensic science services and technical support to our local community of law enforcement agencies while utilizing state-of-the-art equipment and techniques, in addition to presenting objective, unbiased conclusions to the judicial system.