Specialized License Plates
If you lost your cab card or pre-bill showing what you paid in 2018 for the registration on your vehicle, please visit the link below. 2018 Registration Tax Paid
License Centers will be closed on Monday, February 18th in observance of Presidents’ Day. Please expect higher than average wait times on Friday, February 15th and Tuesday, February 19th. Thank you for your patience.
You can obtain several different License Plates in Minnesota, ranging from Veteran Plates to Personalized/Vanity Plates to Habitat Conservation Plates. Some plates come with additional yearly contributions others have one time payments associated with them. Most plates can only be displayed on passenger class vehicles but a number of plates are also available to one-ton trucks, recreational vehicles and motorcycles. Some plates are available at the License Centers, while others need to be special ordered. See this Special License Plate Brochure for images and information on specific plates.
- Critical Habitat including: Deer, Loon, Angler, Chickadee, Lady Slipper, Buck, Pheasant, Moose, & Turkey Designs
- Support Our Troops
- Minnesota Golf
- Remembering Victims of Impaired Drivers
- Minnesota State Parks and Recreation
- Veteran (Available for all major U.S. conflicts)
- Military ( National Guard, Ready Reserve, VFW, American Legion & DAV)
- Collegiate (Available for most Minnesota Colleges and Universities)
- Volunteer Ambulance
- Any plate needing the Disability Insignia
What do I Need to Apply for Special License Plates?
In most cases you must be the vehicle owner and complete and sign an Application for Special Plates. Most plates can be issued and applied for with only the Application, however other plates require additional information. Please see below for specific information on Special Plate types.
Critical Habitat, Support our Troops & Collegiate Plates
All of these plates, with the exception of the Collegiate Plates, are available immediately at the License Centers. These Plates only need the above application completed and signed by the vehicle owner, no additional information is needed. Note: You do not need to have attended one of the colleges or universities to get a Collegiate Plate.
What Will I Pay?
All of these plates have an annual $30 contribution ($25 for Collegiate) to their respective programs, due at the time of registration renewal. The total fee for initial applicants is $50.
Veteran/Military License Plates
In addition to the above application, you will also need to bring in an original or certified copy of your discharge papers commonly a DD-214 (If you are still in active duty, a letter from your commanding officer stating the following will suffice). The discharge papers must indicate that you served during the conflict or that you received the conflict service medal of the plate you are applying for and that you were honorably discharged. For Military Plates, you need to provide a copy of your organization membership card. Please visit DVS's Veteran Plate Information page or contact us for additional information.
What Will I Pay?
Veteran/Military Plates have a one time $20 charge and must be special ordered from the State of Minnesota. Proud to be a Veteran plates require an additional $30 one time contribution to the WWII memorial fund.
Minnesota offers the option to personalize your license plate with custom letter and number combinations. When filling in the application, we request that you list more than one combination to ensure that your application is accepted. Unfortunately, there currently is not a way to check plate availability online or by phone. We can check availability in our office, we recommend you bring several options for us to check.
What are Acceptable Letter/Number Combinations?
The State of Minnesota reserves the right to deny a Letter/Number combination for any reason. Plates deemed inappropriate or combinations that are too similar to license plates issued by the State of Minnesota will be denied. Please review the chart below for a general outline of unacceptable letter/number combinations.
The following Characters/Sequences are Not Allowed:
- Combinations of 2 or 3 letter characters with 2, 3, or 4 number characters (ABC123 or 213ABC; AA12 or 12AA; AA123 or 123AA; AA1234 or 1234AA)
- Combinations with all number characters - there must be at least 1 alpha (letter) character.
- Combinations that duplicate any plate or plate services used by the department (Y or T class truck series, CT class trailer series, etc. )
- Combinations of the same or similar letter or number characters, even if separated by spaces or hyphens. The characters I & 1, naval zero and 0, or O are deemed to be same and may not be duplicated to create new combinations. For example, the following are considered the same choice and cannot be used: "AB", "A B," or "A-B" and "TIM" or "T1M"
What Will I Pay?
Personalized plate applicants must pay a one time $110 fee to apply for their plate combination choice in addition to their registration fees.