Home & Community Care or Services for the Disabled and Seniors

Promoting Health & Home Safety

The goal of Home and Community Based Services is to promote health and home safety in a community setting. Independent community living with the aid of support services begins with a MnCHOICES Assessment. The MnCHOICES Assessment is conducted by a county Public Health Nurse or Social Worker who helps Anoka County residents and their families determine if community living is the appropriate choice to meet their needs.

Community Social Services & Behavioral Health Programs for the Elderly

Older adults who qualify may benefit from home and community based services such as the Elderly Waiver (EW), Essential Community Supports (ECS), or Alternative Care (AC) program. Home and community based services may include:
  • Adult day care
  • Adult foster care (EW only)
  • Companion services
  • Customized living services or foster care (EW only)
  • Family caregiver support and training
  • Home delivered meals
  • Home health aide
  • Medical supplies and equipment
  • Personal care assistants
  • Transportation

Senior Housing

For a directory of assisted living providers in the Minneapolis - St. Paul metropolitan area, call the Senior Linkage Line at 800-333-2433. Download the Anoka County Senior Housing Guide. Customized living can be an apartment, room, or companion suite with available services such as housekeeping, laundry, personal cares, activities, and meals. It is designed for those who need extra help in their day-to-day lives but who do not require nursing home care. Some facilities offer memory care, which provides specialized staff and programming for those living with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease.

More information about these programs for the elderly is available by calling Anoka County Long Term Services and Supports Intake at 763-324-1450 or by fax 763-323-5294, by calling the Senior Linkage Line at 800-333-2433, by going to the Minnesota Department of Human Services website, or by visiting the Minnesota Help website.

Programs for Disabled Individuals

The Community Social Services and Behavioral Health Department manages home and community-based care programs that are an alternative to nursing home and hospital care for qualified disabled and chronically ill children and adults.
More information about these programs is available by calling Anoka County Long Term Services and Supports Intake at 763-324-1450  or by fax 763-323-5295, by calling the Disability Linkage Line at 866-333-2466, or by going to the Minnesota Help website.