University of Minnesota Extension
The University of Minnesota Extension, Anoka County helps people improve quality of life and enhance the economy and the environment through applied research and the resources of the University of Minnesota. Extension - Creating a stronger Minnesota through education and research.
Anoka County Extension Committee Members
- Juanita Reed-Boniface, Chair; email Juanita Reed-Boniface
- Ron Boulton, Vice Chair; email Ron Boulton
- Eva Knudsen, email Eva Knudsen
- Paulette Kostick, email Paulette Kostick
- Reid Mortensen, email Reid Mortensen
- Ann M. Rantanen-Lee, email Ann M. Rantanen-Lee
- County Administration Representative: Andy Soltvedt, email Andy Soltvedt
- Commissioner Jim Kordiak, email Jim Kordiak
- Commissioner Matt Look, email Matt Look
- Regional Extension Director Sarah Chur, email Sarah Chur
Anoka County Extension Staff
- Julie Blomquist, Administrative Secretary
- Kimberly Ferguson, Program Support Secretary
- Anna Gilbertson, County 4-H Program Coordinator
- Lynne Hagen, County Master Gardener Program Coordinator
- Layne Vermeulen, 4-H Youth Teaching Youth Program Coordinator
- Jy Xiong, County 4-H Program Coordinator
4-H Youth Development
4-H clubs are open to youth, kindergarten through one year past high school. The entire family can join in projects and activities. 4-H involvement includes learning by doing, practicing leadership, participating in a wide variety of projects, positive out-of-school time, science and arts enrichment, service to communities, youth teaching youth, and a lot of fun!
* Visit 4-H in Anoka County for more information.
* Follow Anoka County 4-H on Facebook.
Dollars Into Sense Class - Free Class
Dollars Into Sense (PDF) is a 1 1/2 hour class on the basics of developing a spending and saving plan that works. Offered at no cost to Anoka County residents. Classes are being offered on the second Thursday of the month: 6 p.m. January 11, 10 a.m. February 8, 6 p.m., March 8, 10 a.m. April 12, 6 p.m. May 10, 10 a.m. June 14, 6 p.m. July 12, 10 a.m. August 9, 6 p.m. September 13, 10 a.m. October 11, 6 p.m. November 3, and 10 a.m. December 13. All classes are held at the Anoka County Human Services Center in Blaine. Call 763-324-3495 to register.
Master Gardener Program
Master Gardeners are University of Minnesota-trained volunteers whose job is to educate the public about a variety of horticulture subjects using readily-available, up-to-date, research-based information. This educational effort is designed to enhance the public's quality of life and to promote good stewardship of the environment.
* Visit Anoka County Master Gardeners for more information.
Homeowner Education for Septic Systems
Educational class is being offered Monday, March 12, 2018 at the Bunker Hills Activities Center from 7-9 p.m. Learn how to keep your septic system operating properly, when to pump, how to protect if from freezing, and more. View registration and information (PDF).
- Answer Line - Household experts answer questions about food safety, canning and freezing foods, cleaning stains and mildew, and other household questions. Access this information Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-noon, and 1-4 p.m. by calling 800-854-1678.
- Farm Information Line - Extension educators respond to agriculture and small acreage questions. They provide referrals to local extension agriculture personnel where available. Access this information Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. by calling 800-232-9077.
- Soil Test Applications (or pick up from our office)
- Private Pesticide Applicator Training packets can be picked up at our office.