Nearly 80 percent of school waste is recyclable or compostable.
School recycling programs educate future generations about the importance of waste reduction and recycling. Recycling can also help schools save on disposal costs and taxes associated with solid waste disposal.
Anoka County has grant funding, free container signage and free technical assistance available to help schools start or improve recycling programs. Many schools in Anoka County have expanded or improved their recycling programs.
These schools have realized benefits such as:
• Reducing trash disposal costs
• Reducing costs to maintain garbage disposals
• Providing a cleaner trash disposal area
• Improving workers’ safety by reduced heavy lifting
• Reinforcing recycling behaviors for students