We recruit, select, and train volunteers to assist in identified tasks that support our services to Anoka County Library patrons. Volunteers do not replace staff; they free up staff time for completion of higher level tasks. Our use of volunteers in appropriate, meaningful positions acknowledges our commitment to managing all available resources as effectively as possible.
- When a volunteer need is identified by staff, an applicable job description will be posted on our website and on our public bulletin boards.
- A potential volunteer, 18 years of age or older, who finds a posted position that matches their skills and availability, will complete an application form. Teens, ages 12-17 and/or going into 7th grade, can find more information about applying on our Teen Volunteering page.
- If, after reviewing the application, the volunteer coordinator agrees the applicant may be a good match for the position, an interview will be scheduled.
- A newly placed volunteer must attend a two hour orientation session prior to beginning work.
- Teen volunteer hours for school credit are handled differently.
What do Volunteers do?
Volunteers at the Anoka County Library are involved in a variety of tasks, including:
- Keeping assigned parts of the collection neat and in order
- Putting carts of items in proper order so they can be returned to shelves
- Assisting in craft preparation for children’s programming
- Stamping, sorting, counting, or cleaning
- Preparing items for the book sale
- Assisting with Summer Reading activities
- Facilitating English conversation practice
- Pulling items from shelves to fill hold requests
Technology Docents are volunteers with specific responsibilities related to guiding and teaching computer users.
Technology Docents are involved in the following tasks:
- Assist library staff in logging users onto the Internet workstations
- Assist customers with printing, scanning and photocopying
- Provide quick and simple instructions when patrons have problems using the computers
- Help Internet users fill out forms, apply for an email account, use Craigslist, etc. as needed
View available volunteer opportunities: