Festivals, parties, picnics and other social functions can be a ton of fun, but they can also create a ton of waste. Learn more about how to green your event.
Need help greening your event?
Anoka County can help event coordinators develop waste-reduction plans, educate vendors, train volunteers and find collection options. For more information, contact [email protected] or call 763-323-5730. Read more below for resources and tips for greening your event.
Recycling Bin Loan Program
Anoka County has free portable recycling containers available for recycling and organics (food waste and non-recyclable paper) collection at events. The container loan program is available to cities, community groups, non-profit organizations, businesses and others who wish to collect and recycle materials generated at events held in Anoka County.
About the containers
We have two styles of containers available to borrow for your event, quantities are subject to availability.
Slim Style Containers Available:
Organics: 43 available
Recycling: 86 available
Dimensions: 30" x 11" x 20"
• Footprint: 20" x 11"
• Weight: 8.21 lbs
Clearstream Containers Available (collapsible metal frame and removable lid)
Organics: 32 available
Recycling: 26 available
Dimensions: 40" x 25" x 18"
• Footprint: 25" x 18"
• Folded Dimensions: 40" x 25" x 3/4"
• Weight: 8 lbs
Reserve recycling containers
To reserve portable recycling containers contact us. Please clean container lids before returning them to Anoka County.
Check with your event venue first to see if they offer recycling and organics collection service. If recycling and organics collection is not provided by the event site, coordinators can either hire a hauler or self-haul recyclables to a drop-off site. Depending on what is being collected, it may be economical to do a combination of both.
When hiring a waste hauler, ask the following:
• What materials will the hauler collect?
• What will the services cost?
• Will the hauler donate any portion of the service?
• What is the hauler’s experience with event recycling?
• Can the hauler provide the collection containers?
• Will the hauler provide signage and container labeling?
• Where will the organics be taken for composting?
• Will recyclables be collected together or do they need to be separated?
• Is the hauler able to measure and report garbage and recycling data?
Finding a hauler to take all of the materials generated at an event (garbage, recyclables and organics) is the most convenient method for waste removal.
• Contact companies offering recycling pick-up services to see if they offer recycling pick-up for events.
• Check with the city recycling coordinator or haulers who offer services in the city where your event is being held.
• Contact us for information on waste haulers who pick up organics for composting.